Sandstone is a category of rock made from sediment. The sediment particles are clasts, or pieces, of minerals and fragments of rock, thus sandstone is a clastic sedimentary rock.
Physical Properties of Sandstones
The physical properties of sandstone includes following-:
- Color Sandstones are available in various colors like red, green, yellow, grey and white, this variation is result of the binding material and its percentage constituent.
- Water Absorption The capacity of water absorption is not more than 1.0%
- Hardness Lies between 6 to 7 on Moh’s Scale Density 2.32 to 2.42 Kg/m3
- Porosity The porosity varies from low to very low.
- Compressive Strength Varies from 365 to 460 Kg/m2
Chemical Properties of Sandstone
|Chemical Properties of Sandstone|
|Alumina (Al2O3)||1 to 1.5%|
|Soda (Na2O) & Potash(Kro)||Less then 1%|
|Lime (CaO)||Less then 0.5%|
|Magnesia (MgO)||Less then 0.5%|
|Loss On Ignition (LOI)||Less then 0.5%|
Uses of Sandstones
- Manufacturing of plate glass, fine table glassware, and common glassware.
- Crushed in concrete and asphalt to fill in dike and jetty construction.
- Rough and weathered sandstone is used as fireplaces, walls, and walkways.
- As decorative stones.
- As bookends, clocks, paperweights, coaster, etc.
- As flooring or paving material.
- Load bearing masonry
- Sandstone slabs and sandstone tiles are used in cladding.
- In chemical industries as flooring, wall fixing and lining due to its acid and alkali resistant properties.
- It is ideal for carving and architectural uses as pillars, arches, garden furniture, fountains, landscaping products and stone arts & crafts.
- A sandstone block is used as foundations and stonewalls.
- Cut –to-Size :30X30, 30X60, 40X40, 40X60, 60X60, 60X90, 60X45,60X120,80X80
- Slabs :100X200 and up
- Both Side Natural
- One Side Natural And Other Side Swan
- One Side Natural And Other Side Calibrated,
- Both Side Honed, Polished, Sandblasted, Tumbled, Brushed